values & ethos
At Notre Dame School our mission is to contribute - in partnership with the home and parish - to the development of Christian women who are confident, can think for themselves, who understand the concepts of equality and justice and can play a full and responsible part in a changing and multicultural society.
Our goal is to ensure that all aspects of school life reflect the school's distinctive Catholic ethos and that each girl is given equality of opportunity to achieve her full potential - spiritually, academically and socially. To fulfill this goal we aim to:
- Live by Gospel Values of Justice, Peace and Love.
- Have a commitment to educating young women to be confident, independent and responsible citizens, the mission statement above is at the heart of what we do.
- Give every chance to every pupil to have the very best opportunities both in the classroom and outside it.
- Offer strong pastoral support.
- Prepare young women for an ever changing world.
Our objectives are to:
- Ensure that our worship as a community is a celebration of our belief in God and an expression of our relationship with God and with one another.
- Recognise that the Christian concept of love must permeate school life by providing an atmosphere in which all members are valued as individuals, have a positive self-image and are motivated by the celebration of their achievements.
- Recognise the uniqueness of each individual and thereby provide a rich and varied learning experience which will:
- (i) fulfil each student's entitlement to access to the National Curriculum.
- (ii) facilitate a smooth transition from primary to secondary school and later to adult life
- Oppose all kinds of prejudice so that the values of equality and justice are realised.
- Create opportunities for celebration, thanksgiving and reconciliation in a spirit of tolerance, compassion and understanding.
According to Ofsted, 'fundamental British values' are:
- The rule of law.
- Individual liberty.
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith.â€‹
Follow the link to see what we do at Notre Dame to uphold these values:
British Values Lessons